Saturday, January 24, 2009

It's hard to remain anonymous

I have been helping lead a small group of teenage girls at church for about a year now. Their only forms of communication are texting and Facebook. Long story short, I joined Facebook, but I have been trying to remain anonymous (funny, I know since it's a social network) for several reasons:

  1. I think that I'm too old for it.
  2. The bad grammar (both texting and on Facebook) kills me!
  3. I've heard several people tell stories of how they have accidentally sent out "Friend Requests" to everyone whom they've ever sent an e-mail.
  4. Let's be honest, I just don't like socializing that much.

I have really only been using it to communicate with the girls, and I often get "Friend Requests" from random teenagers they know. I have been denying them, but in the last couple of weeks, I have gotten "Friend Requests" from some of my actual friends. At first, my only "Friends" were a dozen teenage girls and Tyler.

So, I'm trying to embrace Facebook. I already have 3 e-mail accounts (work, home, and junk) and my blog, so I'm not sure how often I will check it, but if you want still want to be my "Friend" after my bulleted rant, feel free to send me a request. :)

5 comments:

  1. I have been under a lot of pressure to join facebook latly (Issac/Steph, Brandon/Wheatherly, and Mandi Frank(Jayden's mom)). I have always said that we are too old, but I have finally given in because it seems to be the only way to keep in touch with some people. So look for me soon but you know I won't check it much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you finally added a profile picture! Maybe you can use the same one on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never and I repeat NEVER be on facebook. It's completly ridiculous to me. I think facebook is for lonely people who like to pretend they are famous and popular and have lots of friends. "OMG I forgot to change my status. I've got to let my fans know I'm going to the bathroom!!!!!" Go ahead post your comments that you don't agree with me. That's fine. I'm just saying what has happened to good old fashioned relationships? You know where you meet for coffee, catch up on life or dial someone's number and talk on the phone? I'm just saying

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm older than all of you, and I joined a year ago. I like to keep up with what my nieces are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with Renee, and I love facebook. :)

    ReplyDelete