Tuesday, August 19, 2008

We made it!

Two days down; two thousand more to go! I figured that if each year is divided into four 9-weeks, times 13 years, that's well over 2000 days of dropping-off and picking-up! I think that is the most overwhelming part of all of this--it's every school day for the next 13 years. And in addition to that, Nathan's school starts very early. The tardy bell rings at 7:40!!! So far we've been on time, but it has required a serious adjustment to our morning routine.
Nathan had a great first day. His teacher was really nice, and he got to be the class leader. (Having the last name "Adams" comes in handy!) His favorite part of the day was lunch time. He took his lunch the first day and wanted to eat in the cafeteria today.
I handled the big day pretty well myself. I teared up a couple of times at school, but I pulled it together. Then I went to Wal-Mart, and while I'm standing in the check-out line these two women in front of me were talking about dropping off their Kindergartners at school. I almost lost it right there in Wal-Mart!!! Luckily, I got it together before any waterworks started.
Overall, the day was a success. Ashley, however, started crying when we were leaving Nathan at school. She wanted to go with him, but she got over it pretty quickly. I talked to both Amanda and Jennifer, and they reported that Brandon and Will both had good first days as well. Jeremiah doesn't start school until next week.
Nathan's First Day of Kindergarten

Picture with Little Sis


Nathan with his teacher (Mrs. Cooper)

2 comments:

  1. Good job Nathan! And good job Racheal! I'm glad you didn't start sobbing in the classroom when you dropped him off like one of the moms in Kate's classroom. Awkward.
    I'm going to steal your 2000 more days line...wow, that's a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy's comment is hysterical! I can just see the teacher's face. I so hope I am not the sobbing mom when Lydia starts kindergarten. I'm thinking the last one may be extra tough.

    ReplyDelete