Thursday, February 5, 2009

100th Day of School Celebration...Really?

When I grew up in public schools, we celebrated all major holidays. (Except for the poor Jehovah's Witness kids who had to leave the room every time.) We even called Christmas "Christmas". I know times have changed so you can't celebrate any religious holidays, but I didn't know that the public school system would make up things to celebrate in place of them!

Yesterday was the 100th Day of School celebration. You would not believe the hoopla that went on. They sent home a list the first week of school to record reading "100 Books in 100 Days", so we had to frantically finish filling that out this week and turn it in. Plus, we had more assignments: make a T-shirt with 100 items painted/glued to it (see above), bring a collection of 100 things to count in class, etc. It was really out of control!

To change the subject completely, Jeff's mom is back in the hospital. She had a second emergency surgery yesterday to repair some post-surgical complications. Please pray for all of them.

To change the subject completely again, Nathan was planning his future tonight (as he often does) and was talking about his "wife". I asked him if he knew who his wife was going to be yet. He said, "No, but I think she will look like Renee". Just thought I would share. Love ya, Nay-Nay!

3 comments:

  1. I offically LOVE 100th Day! It is my 2nd favorite made up holiday in the world!(the first of course is Thanksgiving Eve). I have MANY complaints about how the public schools do not let kids be kids. I think that going all out for a made up holiday is a ton of fun for them. Just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to live off of Nathan's comment/compliment for a long time. If Nathan thinks I'm pretty then that's what matters! That's maybe one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about me. Thanks Nathan! You ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100th day was a big deal here too.

    ReplyDelete