Thursday, September 25, 2008

"STUR WURS COLN WURS"


I love when kids start sounding out and writing words on their own. Nathan is just starting to do that, and it is so funny. On the back of one of his school papers, he drew a battle scene from Star Wars. He titled it "STUR WURS COLN WURS". We took him to see Star Wars: The Clone Wars a few weeks ago, so it's his latest movie-related obsession. I have already told him that we will not start collecting every piece of Star Wars merchandise that we see. First of all, the original trilogy has been around for what, 20 or 25 years? So, there's a lot of Star Wars stuff out there. Secondly, we have too much stuff already.
His "collections" include everything related to Buzz Lightyear/Toy Story, almost all of Cars movie toys, and countless Hot Wheels (some of which he inherited from Jeff and my Dad). Not to mention, the last phase that didn't quite make the "obsession" level - Kung Fu Panda. He wanted the Happy Meal toys so badly that I bought a couple of them on eBay to complete his set. Now they are stashed away in a Rubbermaid container under his bed and haven't been played with in months.
I completely admit that I have been an enabler for his obsessions, but we are seriously cutting back. I told him that he could spend his money that he made at the yard sale on toys, but anything else would have to be put on his birthday or Christmas lists (which I am keeping very short!) Mom, however, has already started collecting Star Wars things for him at yard sales, flea markets, etc. I guess I better get some more Rubbermaid boxes!

No comments:

Post a Comment