Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Redneck Mecca

Have I mentioned that October is a crazy month for us. Seriously, it is busier than December for the Adams household. Last night we made our annual pilgrimage to redneck Mecca - the Arkansas State Fair. I will admit that it is nasty, crowded, and overpriced, but we all love it!

No trip to the fair is complete without...

(1) riding the Ferris wheel - unless you are like Jeff and scared of it. He will ride anything else at any theme park, but is terrified this one!

(2) Eating the biggest, greasiest corn dog you can find...
(3) Riding the Tilt-a-Whirl until you want to throw up your aforementioned corn dog...
and (4) finishing off the evening with a novel fair dessert. I looked unsuccessfully for the "Cheesecake on a Stick" trailer. (If you've never had it, you do not know what you are missing. It is a frozen slice of cheesecake, impaled with a skewer, and dipped in chocolate - truly a dessert-lover's paradise! And I can say that with authority.)
The kids wanted Dippin' Dots, but I wanted something that you can not find at the mall, so Jeff set off to find us some more appropriate fair fare. This is what he found:
I didn't even believe him when he told me about it, so I asked him to go back and take a picture. I didn't realize until I saw the picture that it was called "Pig Licker". That makes it infinitely more disgusting! I didn't go see it for myself because I was repulsed by the idea of chocolate-covered meat.
After that, I gave up on my quest for fair dessert and shared some of Ashley's Dippin' Dots. It was no Cheesecake on a Stick but surely better than the Chocolate Dipped Bacon!

5 comments:

  1. I would be sitting next to Jeff (eating a funnel cake!!) watching you ride that ferris wheel! I'm scared of heights and you are up there way to long :). Wow, I've never heard of chocolate dipped bacon. Only at the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jeff's face on the tilt a whirl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the fair...way too many scary people. I went this summer to the Washington County Fair and the operator of the machine passed out while my kids were on the ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm screaming "Help, we need a Doctor" It was traumatic. To me the only good thing about the fair is the food, the funnel cake is a must have for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pics of corndogs make my mouth water...but I can't even imagine the taste of a "pig licker." Ashley is sooo big--it's been way too long since I last saw her. We ought to really plan a "February at Devil's Den" getaway this year. Perhaps for Brynn's first outing out of our house...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke - I will save the date if Brynn's doing well enough for a weekend trip by then! Congrats on the 3 lb mark by the way!

    ReplyDelete