Thursday, January 27, 2011

Night at the Museum

The kids' school had a "Family Science Night" at the Museum of Discovery this evening. The main exhibit right now is "Cold-Blooded Creatures". If you are afraid of snakes, I would recommend that you stop reading now!

While there was a variety of toads, frogs, and other slimy things, the snakes were the main attraction. The first thing my kids wanted to do is touch the HUGE, albino python.


I don't know exactly how long it was, but I would guess at least 8 feet! There was also a large boa constrictor that some kids (thankfully, not mine!) let wrap around their heads & necks for a picture. I'm all for a good photo op, but it's called a constrictor for a reason.

I have a healthy respect for snakes, but I'm not overly scared of them. Spiders, however, are an entirely different matter. If there's ever an "Arachnid Night", I'm out! But back to the snakes...

At one point, we saw a live show featuring the snakes of Arkansas. The guy took all of the non-venomous ones out for a close-up look. He left the venomous ones in their cages. However, I was little concerned that the only things holding the plexiglas in place were binder clips!! I'm pretty sure that the big rattlesnake could have escaped had he/she really wanted to.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment