Monday, September 6, 2010

Double Birthday

September 6th was always a special day in our house growing up. It was both my Dad's and my Granny Taylor's birthday. I got to have supper with my Dad tonight. (Don't mistakenly call it dinner in front of him. He will be quick to point out to you that in the South, we eat supper!)

Dinner is what we sometimes call lunch. Especially if it's the midday meal on a holiday or pretty much any given Sunday. After church, we used to have Sunday dinner at my Granny's house. I've mentioned time and time again what a great cook she was. She was well-known in the community for her dressing. When she died in 2005, the only thing that I really wanted from her house was the roasting pan that she made her famous dressing in. I already had the "recipe", if you want to call it that. I don't think she ever used any written recipes. If you wanted to learn to cook like Granny, you learned side-by-side in the kitchen. She was such a special woman and is missed by many. My mom is the youngest of 7 children, which makes me one of too many grandchildren to count! One thing about my Granny is that she had a special ability to make each of us feel like we were her favorite.

I've been trying to scan a lot of my old pictures lately. Here's a few that I've come across with my Granny in them:

On our trip to California (c. 1980)

Making the dressing (1990)

With Renee, me, Mom, and Amanda at our "triple" Baby Shower (2002)
Lest you think that Dad was left out of the old picture posting, there's more to come. Mom just got a new scanner/printer, and we are going to try to convert a lot of her old pics to digital. I'm going to help her so I can make sure all of the terrible pictures of me (there's a good decade of them!) somehow won't scan. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment