Sunday, May 2, 2010

"Be Nice to Me, I Gave Blood Today."


My only experience with blood donation was 15 years ago, and it did not go well. I was freshman in college (in fact, they asked me today if my address was still 208 Pomfret Hall), and I passed out 3 times! I still have hazy memories of being wheeled through the Student Union inverted on a little cart thingy. Good times!

Lately though, I have been compelled to give it another try. There was a blood drive at church today. I went at 10:20 naively thinking that I would make it to church for the 11:00 service. After the lengthy process of giving consent, having my BP and iron checked, and answering numerous questions about my personal life, travel outside the US, and medical history, it was my turn to donate.

The technician got a good vein on the first try (thank the Lord!) and it was supposed to take about 10 minutes. I was doing great until about 12 minutes in. I started feeling lightheaded and asked how much longer I had to be hooked-up. They assured me that I was almost finished. Well, I went from lightheaded to blurred vision and nausea in about a minute and a half. Three technicians did all that they could to keep me from passing out - elevating my feet, ice packs on my neck and back, and giving me one Coke after another. I don't think I ever completely lost consciousness because I could still hear them even after my vision was gone.

A few minutes later, I was out of the woods. I texted Jeff to come pick me up because I didn't think I should drive home. The tech told me that the next time I give blood, I should tell them to elevate my feet and give me a Coke before they start. After today, I don't think that there will be a "next time". Maybe in another 15 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment