Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A New Chapter...

Since I graduated in 2000, I have been working as a home health/hospice pharmacist. It is a unique, multidisciplinary specialty, and I have joked that surely I have earned an honorary "R.N." after my name as well! I have spent the last 7 years at I Care of Arkansas, and for about a year, we have been working on some side projects that have really taken off on their own. I can finally announce that as of today, I Care merged with another local competitor. As of tomorrow, I will be working exclusively for Sterile Compounding of America. It is both exciting and scary to venture away from what I know. It felt almost like I was giving away one of my children today as I turned over my charts to the other company. I have taken care of some of these patients for years!

I am ready for a change though. Eleven years of being on-call has been more than enough! Even though it was rewarding to help people get home from the hospital and to provide comfort to the terminally ill, I will not miss compounding morphine for a new hospice patient at 3:00am or missing church and family events because somebody needed I.V. antibiotics. I will not miss always having a contingency plan "in case Mommy gets called in". I will also not miss the red scrubs! ; )

I have worked with some great people over the years and will miss a few of them dearly. I'm sure that I will continue to talk to them through the transition, and it has already been requested that I continue making my famous carrot cake for their birthdays. So here's to a new chapter, and whatever it brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment