Saturday, August 14, 2010

Look out, Heaven. Here comes Cookie!

Sadly, we lost Jeff's grandmother, Georgia Cook "Cookie" Barnes today. She was air lifted yesterday morning to St. Vincent with a suspected pulmonary embolism and multiple complications followed. When it was determined that nothing else could be done for her, they took her off the ventilator. True to her nature, Cookie stayed with us for hours after it was removed determined to do things her own way.



Though her death was unexpected, her health had been declining in the last couple of years. A stroke earlier this year had limited her driving abilities. And, oh, how she loved to drive! She made frequent cross-country trips and spent lots of her time "taking those old ladies to the doctor". She spent her life doing things for other people, but if you heard the way she talked about them, you would never know what a kind heart she had deep inside.



When Jeff and I started dating, he made the connection that his grandparents and mine were old craft show friends. He told his grandma about me, and she went on and on about what wonderful people the Fischers were followed by, "You know they're staunch Catholic". After Jeff assured her that I was a Baptist of like faith and order, I guess she gave her blessing. I wasn't sure what to expect when I met Cookie. I had heard some stories, but much to everyone's surprise she greeted me with a big hug.



One of my personal "Cookie Stories" happened a few years ago at her 80th birthday party. Nathan was little and didn't want to have anything to do with the distant relatives and other guests at the party. Cookie loudly proclaimed, "I don't know where he gets that from. Jeff never acted like that." Hmm, wonder where he gets it from? Maybe the other half of his gene pool?



I grew to love Cookie over the years. I guess it's because we were both kindred spirits not to mention fierce card players. When I reach my eighties, you all better look out! I might have a little bit of Cookie Barnes in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment