Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Day 5: Room with a View

Day 5, 2108 km
We spent a lazy morning in Niagara Falls.  After our late night of watching fireworks and LOTS of walking yesterday, we slept in a little bit and then hung out in our room until checkout. It might not seem like the best use of our brief time in Canada, but we all needed a break and got to enjoy this view from our room:

That view is from the 25th floor at Embassy Suites.  They call it "Fallsview" for a reason.  We even opened the window and listened to the roar of Horseshoe Falls.  It was very relaxing.  This was a stark contrast to everything else we saw/did in Niagara Falls.  I would compare it to a permanent carnival on steroids.  They have rides, "museums" (like wax museums and Guiness World Records) and more arcades than you can imagine. They even had what I would guess is the Canadian version of a funnel cake.  It's called a "Beavertail".  I didn't try one, but they looked pretty tasty.

This afternoon, we loaded up again and headed to Toronto.  We're only going to stay for one night and don't have any specific plans while we're here.  We just wanted the kids to see a big city since we were only an hour and half away.

The view from our room is not bad, but the rooftop has great views and even hot tubs.  Jeff is taking the kids to the pool for the second time, and I'm in the room enjoying some peace and quiet, WiFi, and--trying to get into the spirit of Canada--a good cup of tea.




Once we got closer to Toronto, it really felt like we were in another country.  It's sort of formal and British.  For example, the sign when you get on the QEW (the Queens Expressway) says "Use of Seat Belts is Compulsory" compared with America's classy "Click It or Ticket".  My main annoyance is that my cell phone is roaming, so I can't have unlimited access to my iPhone. I know it's not Canada's fault, but I'm really addicted to having instant information at my fingertips.  We've even gone old school today using paper maps.  We've navigated well, but I really miss my blue dot. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment