Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pregame Prep





Tailgating is hard work! I realized last week that I was not in mid-season form. Everything turned out great, but I was just worn out by game day! I decided to pace myself this week with the pregame prep and (for some reason) to blog about it.


WEDNESDAY: Finalizing menu, grocery shopping, and start working on Razorback candies.

I bought this candy mold online. It was cute and easy to use, but it only makes 12 at a time. So now I'm thinking, "Why did I only buy one?!" Speaking of cute, here's my sous chef /taste-tester helping out in the kitchen.






THURSDAY: In a word, BACON!

One should probably be ashamed of using this much bacon to prepare two side dishes, however, I'm not. Last week's game day fare was pretty healthy (Strawberry Spinach Salad with Baked Chicken - perfect for the 90+ degree day!) I was accused of putting our tailgaters on a diet, so this week you better BYO Lipitor! We're having BBQ today, so I'm making Baked Bean Quintet (with lots of bacon) and Baked Potato Salad (with even more bacon). This brings up the age-old controversy: is it sacrilege to eat pork before a Razorback game?






FRIDAY: Making the Cake

As soon as I saw the Apple-Cream Cheese Bundt Cake on the cover of this month's Southern Living, I new that I would have to make it. It has a lot of ingredients, but wasn't that challenging to make. I would recommend boiling the icing a little longer than 1 minute as mine turned out a little thin. I also decreased the cinnamon to about 1 1/2 teaspoons just because I wanted to. I'll let you know how it turns out...






SATURDAY: Game On!
Obviously if I have time this morning to blog about cooking, my game day prep is pretty low key. Now it's time to pack it all up and head to War Memorial!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, yum. You guys going to be tailgating on Saturday? We'll surely stop by..to see you, of course, not to have cake or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're planning to be there. It looks like a great weekend for football!

    ReplyDelete