Saturday, June 25, 2011

Purple Hull Pea Festival and World Championship Rotary Tiller Race

Now for the real reason we went to South Arkansas - Emerson's 22nd Annual Purple Hull Pea Festival and World Championship Rotary Tiller Race. (Pause for mockery.)

Jeff and I proudly embrace our Southern heritage and have decided to impress this upon our children by dragging them to some of the crazy celebrations around the state. I'm pretty sure they will hate us for it later. I first heard of the Purple Hull Pea Festival last year. Considering my love of both legumes and fairs, I thought it would be the perfect combination. Throw in some rednecks racing their farming implements, and I was sold!


Everybody say "Peas"!


The tiller race was just as hot, dusty, and delightfully tacky as I thought it would be. There was quite a turnout, and KATV was actually broadcasting from Emerson this morning.

It was really funny and something everyone should do once in their lifetime - emphasis on the once. We couldn't leave with out buying a P-shirt. I just don't know why it wasn't purple?

Ashley posed for a picture with one of the "Tiller Girls" who with her Daisy Dukes, sash, and boots is probably her new idol.

Nathan got in some climbing on the portable rock wall.




While everyone else enjoyed fair-style food like corndogs and lemonade, I waited in line in the cafeteria for a the purple hull pea plate lunch. Six dollars got you peas, cornbread, peach cobbler, and sweet tea. Yum! I even got the kids to try the peas. They were not fans but at least they tried something new. I don't know which festival we will try to attend next - the Bradley County Pink Tomato Festival or maybe the Hope Watermelon Festival - but I'm pretty sure it will involve some kind of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment